To ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable trip, below is a checklist of items you should always take with you just in case the unforeseen happens.
• Map of area and compass. KNOW HOW TO USE THEM !!!
• Large orange-coloured plastic bag – useful as emergency shelter, signaling device
• Flashlight and spare batteries.
• EXTRA food and water.
• EXTRA clothing – rain and wind clothes, toque and gloves, sweater and warm pants (NOT Jeans!), and proper footwear.
• Sun protection – sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, long-sleeved shirt and pants.
• Pocket knife.
• Waterproof matches and/or a full lighter.
• Candles and/or fire starter (efficient fire building in adverse weather MUST be learned before you venture out!)
• Check weather forecasts prior to departure. Call (204) 983-2050 (weather recordings)
• First aid kit – (training is required to develop skills needed for proper first aid.)
• Extras – whistle, small lightweight ground insulation, projectile-type flares, tarp,
space blanket, flagging tape, notebook and pencil.
REMEMBER: Bad weather, early darkness or an unexpected injury can turn any outing into an extended crisis!