Hunting Laws and Regulations
Basic wildlife regulations for hunting in Manitoba can be found in the Hunting Guide available where you purchase your hunting license. Regulation changes occur every year, so it is important that you read and understand the information provided every year.
• The Manitoba Hunting Guide and the Spring Supplement Hunting Guide can be found on our regulations page.
Hunter Education is necessary for all licensed hunters in Manitoba.
To qualify for a hunting licence, any person born after January 1, 1951 and any first-time hunter wanting to purchase a hunting license must be a graduate of the provincial Manitoba Hunter Course or a similar hunter education course from another province or state. The federal Canadian Firearms Safety Course does not meet this requirement.
- Minimum age to purchase a hunting licence is 12.
- Hunters under the age of 18 must present their Hunter Education card when purchasing a licence and carry the card while hunting.
- Starting January 1, 2012 all hunters will be required to produce a Hunter Education Certificate or card when purchasing any type of hunting licence.
Replacement Hunter Ed Card
Lost your Hunter Education card? No problem! Manitoba Wildlife Federation will be pleased to issue you a replacement Hunter Education Card. To order a replacement Hunter Education Card, call (204) 633-4868 or toll free (877) 633-4868 (Manitoba only). Please have the following information ready when you call:
• Last Name (ladies may need their maiden name)
• First Name
• Middle Inital
• Birth Date
• Approx. year course was taken and where you were living at the time you took the course
The fee for a replacement Hunter Ed card is:
• $15 per card for MWF members
• $25 per card for non-MWF members
Payment can be made on the phone by Visa or MasterCard, or can be paid in person by cash or debit at the MWF office (70 Stevenson Road, Winnipeg).
Special Membership Offer
• For the fee of $50, sign-up for a Single membership with MWF (with an Outdoor Canada subscription included!) and receive a replacement Hunter Ed card
• For the fee of $60, sign-up for a Family membership with MWF (with an Outdoor Canada subscription included!) and receive a replacement Hunter Ed card
Learn more about the benefits of membership!
If you are planning to obtain a Possession and Acquisition License (previously called a FAC) for non-restricted firearms, you may use your pre-1994 Manitoba Hunter Education Course certificate to fulfill the Safety Training Certification requirement.
The Manitoba Wildlife Federation was instrumental in “grandfathering” Manitoba Hunter Education course graduates for the training course requirements for obtaining Possession and Acquisition Licenses.
If you did not take the Manitoba Hunter Education Course prior to 1994, you are required to take the Canadian Firearm Safety Course or challenge the CFSC (written and practical tests) when applying for a Possession & Acquisition License (FAC).