Follow along with avid turkey hunters April Willis & Melissa Lindsay as they show you how to turn your wild turkey legs into an extra easy and delicious dinner with your slow cooker.
Wild turkey legs, like any other game bird are tough, stringy and offer little meat to work with. A lot of people think that they are not worth the hassle, but we do not like to waste anything.
Serve in tacos, burritos, on nachos, over rice, in a salad or in soup. The options are endless!
This virtual seminar is proudly sponsored by Cabela’s Outdoor Fund, next time you visit a Cabela’s store please consider rounding up to support this initiative!
WILD TURKEY LEG CARNITAS
2 turkey legs
900ml chicken broth
2 oranges, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
6 garlic gloves, smashed
1 jalapeno including seeds, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons oregano
3 bay leaves
1⁄4 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1) Add all ingredients to a large slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours until the meats is completely tender and shreds easily with a fork. Allow extra time if you are cooking an old tom, it may end up taking longer for the wild meat to get tender.
2) Once the meat is cooked and tender, remove from the pot and let it cool. Then shred the meat off the bones.
3) Add the olive oil and shredded turkey to a frying pan and brown the meat to your preference. Some like it soft, some like it crispy. At the end you can also add some of the juices from the slow cooker back to the meat.
4) Serve immediately in tacos, burritos, salads, or whatever sounds good to you. This turkey can also be refrigerated in a sealed container for up to a week, or frozen in a sealed container for up to 3 months.
When storing the leftover meat, you can add some of the left over juices to keep it nice and tender and flavorful.
Pico de Gallo Recipe
6 tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup white onion, diced
2/3 cup of cilantro, diced
2 jalapeno peppers, cored, deseeded and finely diced
2 limes, juiced
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1. Combine everything in a medium bowl
2. Refrigerate for an hour to allow flavors to combine
Lime Crema Recipe
8 oz sour cream
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1) Zest the lime, then squeeze the juice into a small bowl.
2) Add about 1 tsp of the zest and 1 Tbsp of the juice to the sour cream, along with the garlic and salt. Stir to combine and use immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Store the lime crema in the refrigerator for up to one week.